1) Brush your dog before bathing. Mats are painful to your dog and washing makes them tighter and harder to get out.
2) Wet fur well before applying shampoo. Always read shampoo instructions to see if it needs to be diluted. Too much sudsing is hard to rinse and can cause itching and irritation to your dog’s skin.
3) Wash head and face last with a tear free cleanser. Make sure the ears are down when wetting or rinsing. You can cup your hand around the ear to help keep water out.
4) Rinse well. Run your hand against the fur to look for any remaining suds and rinse until the water runs clear.
5) Before toweling, press your hand against the fur and slide it down to “squeegee” the water away. This will save on towels and drying time.
6) Towel dry from head to tail, belly, and legs. Dry, if needed, but make sure the temperature is warm or cool. A hot dryer can burn.
7) Give praise and/or treat and enjoy your clean dog.